Tuesday, November 27, 2007

reading Season

Winnipeg is covered in a blanket of fresh white snow, with the windchill it is far too cold to frolic outside. But I Love it, this is home! It makes me smile when I step outside and the cold air catches in my lungs the way it did as a kid. It also gets us doing all kinds of indoor family stuff; puzzles galore, games, Hot Chocolate ( the kids have been drinking Ovaltine and think it is just as delightful...I Love that it is super good for them) and of course cuddling up under a blanket for all kinds of reading.

In my own quiet time this past month or so, wonderful holiday reading has re-awakened in me the kind of reading where you just have to keep going and finish the book all in a day or two. The kind where try as you might you cannot put your book down. It had been awhile since I read like that...read till both arms were cramped from holding up the book LOL


Five special stories worth taking time for:


-The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans ( thanks Kristie!)

- The Christmas Promise by Donna VanLiere

-and The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere such a beautiful story and SUCH a tear jerker....this one I have read for a few years in a row and every time it makes me appreciate my life and all that makes me blessed
- The gift by Richard Paul Evans Incredible, touching and inspirational, WOW...this is my most recent read which has me convinced that he is just a truly gifted writer and makes me want another book of his to read right now!

Oh! and Emy brought home The hundred Dresses by Elanor Estes a short book but so so powerful. We were both in tears as it got to our equally tender hearts.

Now I need a new book to get into....any recommendations today?
Do share!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers. Gripping! I have so enjoyed your contributions to Creating Keepsakes. I have even scrapplifted a few (which I don't normaly do)
ltg

Natasha said...

Have you read Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright? I just read his The Wednesday Letters. A wonderful quick read and I've heard the Christmas Jars will change your life.

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Hundred dresses an amazing story. I recommended that one to you and I"m so glad that you chose it to read! My son is in Kindergarten and every Monday is library day. He gets his love of books from me and I must say he has excellent taste! This week he brought home Jolly Old Santa Claus..Hinke. It's apparently a classic and while it is geared more towards younger kids. It's an easy read with a great story and fun little things to keep even the littlest of reader amuzed. Happy Holidays! Wendy WVG

Mauri said...

I second Christmas Jars. It's a great book. I also love reading anything by Charles Dickens--especially at this time of year. If you have never read A Christmas Carol, you need to read it. It might be a little above your girls (because it's in 19th-century English), but it's a beautiful story with that classic English Christmas feel to it. Besides, nothing compares to the masterful writing of Dickens. It's a short read too--just over 100 pages, I think.

Anonymous said...

Have you read the sequal to The Christmas Shoes, The Christmas Blessing? I haven't read the Christmas Shoes because the library didn't have it when I was looking for it, so I read the sequel instead and really enjoyed it. It follows story of the little boy who bought the shoes as a medical student. I also like anything by Fannie Flagg. Her Christmas novel is A Redbird Christmas.

Christina Carnoy said...

You should try Karen Kingsbury. I always cry when I read her books. I also enjoy the historical fiction of Linda Chaikin.

Happy Holidays!

Kelli said...

Well, it's not a Christmas story, but I just finished "Twilght". Lisa Bearnson recommended it in a class I took with her. It was completely mesmerizing and had me up late all week! I don't usually finish a book so quickly, but I couldn't put the thing down.

Cheryl Wray said...

The Hundred Dresses is such a beautiful book! I haven't read it in several years....but this reminds me that i need to get it out and read it again!

Cheryl Wray said...

And, oh yeah...I second the Twilight books by Stephanie Meyer. We are all reading them in our house and love them!!

Anonymous said...

The Autobiography of Santa Clause is a great book. It has 25 chapters so you can read on a night up to Christmas. I love your work and hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season.
Jen Monroe

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I have checked out your blog. I love your work though. It's not a christmas book, but I loved the "Mitford" series by Jan Karon. There are a lot of characters to remember, but after you read the first one you can't wait to read the rest! Lori Adams Sitka, Alaks

SnapScrapRepeat said...

I teach Hundred Dresses to my third grade students each and every year. It always receives an unbelievable reaction from the girls, as well as the boys!

I also share (even though it is difficult to read without crying in front of a room full of students) The Little Match Girl by the infamous Hans Christen Anderson. Really makes the season something to think about and the students not seem so greedy for presents.